Friday, January 17, 2020

Language and forgetting

There are no natural speeches. As a medium, I am the site where the Other speaks, not as a singular voice traceable to some pure origin, but as a multitude. I am legion.

We take it for granted, as a matter of course, that whatever it is we do is grounded in the natural. Look at the ease by which I say what I say, or think what I think. Discourse is what others do. I, on the contrary, speak. The other's utterance is a recitation of heard and overheard language, a relay point of rumors.

My speech, meanwhile, is pure expression, the exteriorization of an originary interiority, whose rise to the surface is like the natural flow of a spring or geyser. I don't recite, I speak freely as myself. The thoughts that flow out of my speech are as natural as the air and sound which accompany or compose their expression. Truth has the same effortless facility as my breath.

When we assume tacitly that our speech is natural, we mean that it is a discourse without history, without a past, without guile. It is purely innocent, as expression of self evident, unbiased established truth. If I am reciting at all, I am merely restating the already obvious natural order of things and ideas. Stating is not a performative... It only reflects and does not recreate or reproduce lived reality.

---

A culture defined essentially by its construction as memory and memorial is set, by a tautological extension, against the forces of forgetting. But forgetting, then, is a real element without which the culture of memory and the memory of culture lose their reason for being in various forms of ritual, art, education, recitations, songs, representations, commentary, journaling, recording, reporting, and so on. Time and space are accompanied with aide de mémoire facilities, tools, techniques and technologies.

Forgetting is at the core of our cultural dynamic, of language and the practice of languages. It is that chasm we wage war against, a history more enduring than human time itself. Writing paradoxically unites them as the practice of both remembering and forgetting. The pain of loss is as equal, and almost indistinguishable, from the pleasure of recovery. Metaphor is the marker of both the proximity and distance of that which is most culturally and consciously significant and signifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment